Thursday, October 28, 2010

Working Hard!

Hi Everybody! I'm new to this new technology of blogging, so please be patient with me. I'm very lucky to be working at and H.I.S.D public school that has a Montessori program. I have an amazing Lower Elementary Montessori class of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders at Garden Oaks Elementary. My students and I have been working hard and learning many different things since the beginning of the school year. We started with the study of the creation of the universe, the solar system, and earth. We made some experiments and then we focused on earth. The children took a long black strip or line about 30 meters long to represent the age of earth (about 4.6 billions of years) and laid it outside to see a visual representation of the passage of time since earth was created. The long black line has a tiny white strip at the very end of the line that represent the coming of human beings. The children were really shocked to see that humans had only been living on our planet for a very short period of time compared to how old is the earth. It was a really good lesson and we enjoyed it! We have learned so many other things too, we studied landforms and bodies of water and the kids had the chance to create models with sand and water! It was fun! 
Now my mission is to learn more about these blogs and how to manage them to post pictures of the class. I'm going to try hard to keep you updated about my class "Ms. Torres' Lower Elementary Super Stars"
Hasta la vista amigos!
Here we are learning about land forms and bodies of water
                                                     Noah, Gabriel, and Enrique


                                 Nataly, Jesus, and Gabriela
                        Taylor, Marina, Nancy, Gavin, and Steve.

2 comments:

  1. I love all the pics! I bet they were totally captivated with the land forms and bodies of water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! yeah, it was a really good lesson, the kids really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete